The Memory Tree

Cindy Wellenberger goes overboard decorating her house and trees before Thanksgiving, preparing for the arrival of her two young granddaughters from Texas. Thanksgiving is also their Christmas celebration, so Cindy is very creative in her decorations, from stringing lights on the headboard of the guest bed, to making an adult costume of the Elf on […]

Tree of the Week

The days of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree are long gone. Simplicity has given way to elaborate themes with ornaments as big as life, with lights flashing or pulsing, some decorated in only one color, but sparkling just the same. In many cases, households display more than one tree, each with its own personality. Personally, […]

APL Bingo

A Tribute To Veterans

The brave men and women who serve and protect the U.S. come from all walks of life; they are parents, children and grandparents. They are friends, neighbors and coworkers, and an important part of their communities. Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War […]

Phillip Ellis Seeks Clerks Office

Phillip Ellis (D) announces he is seeking the office of Van Buren County Clerk. “I hope to be given the chance to serve the people of Van Buren County as your next County Clerk. I feel I have a lot of experience that I can bring to the office that will be beneficial to the […]

Judge Susan Weaver Announces For Re-Election

Judge Susan K. Weaver has announced her campaign for re-election to the 9th Judicial District Court, Second Division, which serves Faulkner and Van Buren counties, including courts in Clinton, Conway, Greenbrier, Vilonia, and Damascus. Prior to her election in 2012, Judge Weaver served as deputy prosecuting attorney for the 20th Judicial District serving Faulkner, Van […]

12 Arkansas Cities Recognized for Volunteer Efforts

“Twelve Arkansas communities have been named 2015 Arkansas Volunteer Community of the Year Award winners,” the state Department of Human Services said Wednesday. The cities honored this year for their volunteer efforts are Fort Smith, Van Buren, Clarksville, Maumelle, Benton, Fairfield Bay, Clark Ridge, Vilonia, Greenbrier, Arkadelphia, Bentonville and Fayetteville. A selection committee composed of […]

Corps Schedules Boundary Maintenance

The Army Corps of Engineers, Greers Ferry Lake Project Office advises landowners adjacent to public lands on Greers Ferry Lake that contract maintenance crews will be conducting boundary line maintenance along an 85-mile section of government boundary. Work will start in the vicinity of Old Highway 25 recreation area in Cleburne County, head south across […]

Fairfield Bay Rotary News

by Fred Hilsenrath Alice Chambers is the Fairfield Bay Library Director. Her past experience includes working at newspapers, publishing ‘Life in the Ozarks’, and does freelance writing. She is also on the Fairfield Bay Chamber of Commerce Board, the president of the Van Buren County Fair Association, a member of Beta Sigma Phi, Laureate Alpha […]

Consumer Alert

by Dan Feuer I received an email from someone posing as a contact in my email list. They claimed to be in London and in a bind needing some money sent to them immediately. This scam went around a couple years ago in this area. If you get an email like this, be sure to […]